ExerciseI. Укажите сказуемое в данных предложениях и назовите их временную форму:
- I passed three entrance examinations in August.
- Many of my fellow students are members of the scientific society.
- At the Chemistry classes we shall carry out different experiments.
- Her sister entered the Pharmaceutical Institute last year.
- There is a large library at our Academy.
- Many of our students live in the hostels.
Exercise II. Поставьте предложения в вопросительную и отрицательную форму:
- They had a Biology lesson yesterday.
- He has many friends at the University.
- I shall have three practical classes tomorrow.
- They do research in organic chemistry and biology.
- My friends will be pharmacists in five years.
- We were pupils of secondary schools last year.
ExerciseШ. Замените местоимения, данные в скобках, личными в объектном падеже или притяжательными местоимениями.
- We have lectures every day; we attend (they) regularly.
- There are good laboratories at (we) Academy.
- Boris wants to see (you) and read (you) notes of the lecture.
- There are 15 students in my group. Some of (they) live with their parents.
- That young girl is my best friend. Do you know (she)?
Exercise IV. Составьте предложения из данных слов.
- laboratories, chemical, with, are, different, equipped, apparatuses.
- students, examinations, the, take, year, a, twice.
- lecture, an, professor, read, the, interesting, yesterday.
- she, graduate, from, in, years, six, will, Academy, the.
- friend, my, knows, plants, medical, much, about.
- her, family, a, has, brother, his, of, own.
ExerciseV. Заполните пропуски артиклями там, где это необходимо:
- This is ... article. . . . article is very interesting.
- We study. ..Anatomy,. ..Chemistry,, ..Physiology,. ..History of... Motherland and other subjects in... first year.
- My grandmother is ill with. . .pneumonia.
- . . .Russia is. . .large industrial country.
- ...Black Sea is in... South.
- Let's do... exercise 10 on... page 25.
- . . .Yaroslavl state Medical Institute was founded in 1944.
- . . .professor Smirnov is ... head of our department.
- . . .course of studies is six years.
- This is. . .study. There is. . .desk with.. .reading lamp on it by the window. In. . .corner opposite. . .window you can see. . .comfortable armchair. Next to it there are....bookcases. They are full of. . .books.
Exercise I. Образуйте форму множественного числа следующих существительных:
a) chemist, doctor, lecture, mass, class, watch
b) shelf, life, wolf, half, leaf
c) man, child, tooth, foot, mouse
d) duty, city, valley, berry, academy
e) crisis, datum, analysis, formula, nucleus, criterion, phenomenon
f) class-mate, fellow-student, passer-by, mother-in-law.
Exercise II. Укажите число следующих существительных: phenomena, crisis, knowledge, feet, Englishman, vertebrae, physics, gases, apparatus, nuclei.
ExerciseIII. Употребите необходимый модальный глагол (can, may, must):
- One...be very careful with this substance. It is poisonous.
- No one animal or plant...live forever.
- Each kind of living thing...be able to move, get food, grow and reproduce its kind.
- Go and consult the doctor, you...use the wrong medicine.
- ...I take your dictionary? -Certainly.
ExerciseIV. Закончите предложения согласно образцу:
Model: If I stick a label, then the label...
If I stick a label, then the label is stuck by me.
- If a poisonous drug causes death, then death... .
- If Professor Smirnov delivers a lecture in Biology on Tuesday, then the lecture in
3. If the chemist marked bottles of poisonous drugs yesterday, then the bottles of
4. If I buy the medicine tomorrow, then the medicine is bought by me
5. If a patient takes sedatives, then the sedatives are taken by a patient (by him).
ExerciseV. Поставьте вопросы к следующим предложениям, используя данные в скобках вопросительные слова:
- Protoplasm is the living substance of all plants and animals.(What...?)
- Living things are made up of cells. (What,., of?)
- Your body keeps warm because chemical energy is changed into heat (Why... ?)
- Fats are used to build certain parts of the cell. (What...for?)
- To carry on photosynthesis, the plant must have four things: water, carbon dioxide, sunlight and chlorophyll. (What things...?)
- During respiration both animals and plants give off carbon dioxide. (When...?)
ExerciseVI. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык:
- One must be careful with explosive substances.
- Water freezes at 0° unless it contains salt.
- You will finish your experiment in time if you work hard.
- One has to take into account /принимать во внимание) that sulphuric acid is a strong acid.
- As soon as the experiment is done we shall see its results.
- At the beginning of the experiment it is not known yet if the necessary data will be obtained.